5 Ana de Armas Movies to Introduce You to Hollywood's Latest It Girl
The Cuban actress is lighting up red carpets everywhere.
Ana de Armas is leaving her mark on Hollywood. The Cuban actress, 31, has proven to be a versatile talent, whether she’s playing a Bond girl in the upcoming No Time to Die or the wife of Panamanian boxing legend Roberto Durán in Hands of Stone. Now’s the perfect time to brush up on her filmography.
1. In the new film Sergio, coming to Netflix in April, Ana plays Carolina, the wife of Brazilian United Nations diplomat Sergio Vieira de Mello, known as the “World’s Mr. Fix-It,” who struggles to balance his professional duties and personal life. Carolina is the love of Sergio’s life, and fights for him to be rescued after he is caught in a bomb blast in Baghdad.
2. In No Time to Die, part of the iconic James Bond saga, Ana will play CIA agent Paloma. “I admire actors who can make it all about their work, and keep their private lives and work separate, and you feel like you really don’t know what’s going on in their lives because that’s not what matters. Daniel does that very well,” she told The Hollywood Reporter about costar Daniel Craig.
3. In Hands of Stone, Ana dazzles in the role of Felicidad Durán, the wife of Panamanian boxer Roberto Durán (played by Edgar Ramírez). “She is a very strong woman. I think she is his rock,” she told Film Is Now about her role. “She was giving him support since they met when they were 14. There was always a connection between them, and the beauty of that relationship is that they chose each other. She knew that she was getting into something that she shouldn’t and it wasn’t going to be easy. She wasn’t excited about him being a boxer, but she fell in love with him, with who he was, and that’s what kept them together.”
4. In the Oscar-nominated thriller Knives Out, de Armas shares the screen with Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette and Christopher Plummer. She plays Marta Cabrera, the nurse of a wealthy crime novelist who ends up dead after a family reunion for his birthday. De Armas received a Golden Globe nomination for her portrayal of Marta.
5. Ana talked to People CHICA about her role in the sci-fi film Blade Runner 2049, where she plays Ryan Gosling’s love interest. “I can tell you that I am extremely excited and happy and it’s an honor for me to be in this movie working with actors like Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford,” she said. “I’m in the clouds! ”
Ana also shared the keys to her professional success: “If you follow your dreams and you want to give it a try, it’s scary. You might hear a lot of no’s and rejections, but you can’t take it personally,” she said. “You have to be patient and you have to keep trying. And don’t put too much pressure on yourself! The fact that you’re trying is a lot more than other people do.”