Who says snacking has to consist of only ramen noodles and bags of chips? Try these healthy, easy and tasty recipes to fend off hunger.
The school year is now in full swing and it might be easy to fall into bad habits in-between classes and during late-night study sessions. With many college students resorting to eating microwaveable foods or ordering fast-food delivery, it’s important to remember that sticking to healthy, natural ingredients is essential in not gaining the “Freshman 15.”
“Avoid buying products with artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives and high in fat or sugar. Those extra calories are what cause you to gain weight,” Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Malena Perdomo tells Chica.
A bag of chips isn’t the ideal go-to snack to curb hunger pangs. Perdomo recommends snacking with Greek yogurt, which she says is ideal as it’s low in fat, low in lactose and keeps the digestive system running normally. So drop the ramen noodles and try out these 10-minutes-or-less recipes when you’re in need of a small bite.
10 minute prep time | Makes 4 servings
– 1/2 cup Chobani Strawberry Greek Yogurt
– 1/2 ripe pear, cored and cubed
– 1 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
– 8 small strawberries
– 8 pineapple chunks
– 8 red or green grapes
– 1 tablespoon toasted, sweetened shredded coconut
Toss the pear with lemon juice. Thread all the fruit onto skewers.
Stir coconut into yogurt.
Serve a dollop of yogurt-coconut dip with each skewer.
10 minute prep time | Makes 11 servings
– 2/3 cup Chobani Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
– 1 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
– 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
– 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
– 2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
– 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 2 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– Carrot sticks, cauliflower florets, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes and zucchini sticks for serving
Mix yogurt, buttermilk and sour cream until smooth.
Add chives, dill, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper and stir until smooth.
Serve with fresh vegetables.
5 minute prep time | Makes 4 servings
-1 cup Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt
– 1/3 cup reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
– 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 2 apples, cored, sliced
Whip yogurt with cream cheese until smooth.
Stir in brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Serve with sliced apples.