Facebook announces the launch of Marketplace, a new feature that makes it easier for users to buy and sell goods on the social media platform.
July 5, 2017 – After Facebook announced that the social giant’s community had officially grown to two billion people, they also reported that the items being exchanged in their Marketplace feature had ballooned to 18-plus million “new items posted for sale” in the U.S. during May 2017. “These interactions between these community members, “led to 77% growth in the number of between people who may have otherwise never connected,” according to one of their press releases.
Originally published on October 3, 2016:
The social media company makes it easier than ever for users to buy and sell goods on the platform.
Where to sell the couch you just replaced or buy last year’s flat screen model that’s still in mint condition? At Marketplace, Facebook’s new space for individuals to buy and sell items with people in their community or area. At this time the feature is only available for individuals and not brands or companies.
For the past several years, more than 450 million members have flocked to Facebook Groups, not just to gather around a common cause or interest, but to also buy, sell and exchange their goods.
The activity signaled to the social media giant the opportunity to streamline the process for posting and searching items and created Marketplace, Facebook’s new feature.
“Marketplace makes it easy to find new things you’ll love and find a new home for the things you’re ready to part with,” said Mary Ku, director of product management said in a statement. “We’ll continue to build new options and features to make this the best experience for people.”
Though buying and posting items for sale will be practically intuitive for folks acquainted with Facebook’s interface (see below), the company will not be simplifying or even facilitating the payment process. Once the shopper has chosen an item from one of the categories – household, electronics and apparel – they will direct message the seller to make an offer and decide how to close the transaction.
How to Use Marketplace
Facebook outlines three easy steps:
1. Find Marketplace at the bottom of the Facebook app and tap “shop icon“
2. Search photos of items that people near you have listed for sale. Find some-thing specific by searching at the top and choose location, one of many categories or price points to filter results.
When you find something interesting, tap on the image to see more details from the seller, includ-ing a product description, the name and profile photo of the seller, and their general location. You can also save the item to find it later.
3. Once you’ve chosen an item, reach out to the seller on Marketplace via direct message to work out payment and shipping details.
Post items can be done in a few easy steps, according to Facebook:
1. Start by taking “a photo of your item, or add it from your camera roll”
2. “Enter a product name, description and price”
3. “Confirm your location and select a category”
4. Hit “Post” to allow anyone looking in your area to find what you’ve listed.