The pop singer left the hospital less than 72 hours after being taken away for a mental evaluation. A source says she wasn't suicidal

Por People Staff
Updated Enero 04, 2008

Less than 72 hours after being hospitalized for locking herself and one of her sons into a room, Britney Spears checked out of Los Angeles's Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on Saturday. A source revealed to that the pop star tested negative for illegal drugs and alcohol, despite her behavior during the Thursday night custody standoff.

“She tested clean,” the source said. “This lady is as clean as clean can be, and has been for some time.”

The source also denied that the troubled singer threatened suicide while hiding away with her 1-year-old son Jayden James, refusing to hand him over to a court monitor in charge of taking the child to his father, Spears's ex-husband Kevin Federline, 29. The monitor called the police and, according to reports, the 26-year-old songstress appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance. She was then taken to the emergency room for a psychological evaluation.

Two Spears family acquaintances told that the “Gimme More” singer has an undiagnosed bipolar disorder, and one of the sources revealed that she's “suffered from a psychological disease for years.”

During her short stay at Cedars-Sinai, Spears was visited by TV therapist Dr. Phil McGraw. McGraw, who gained popularity after continuous appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show, explained that the singer's family asked him to intervene. “I went to see Britney at the request of her family, I talked to [her mother] Lynne, I talked to [her father] Jamie, I talked to Bryan, her brother. They were very frustrated that she apparently wasn't going to be held for a longer period of time,” Dr. Phil said today on The Early Show (CBS).

The recent incident will likely hurt Spears in the custody battle with her ex for her two sons, Jayden James and Sean Preston, 2. One source said that the kids “won't be back with [Spears] for a long time.” On Friday, Federline's lawyer Mark Vincent Kaplan met with a judge and the singer's new lawyer Tara Scott in an attempt to revoke all of her visitation rights. The boys are currently in the hands of their father.