9 must-watch #girlpower movies
If you're nervous for an upcoming interview or planning a Taco Tuesday with your girlfriends, it's a good time for a girl power movie.
Movies with influential and inspiring leading ladies could add excitement to the week. If you're in need of a little motivation, call your amigas and have your choosing from this list of must-watch girl power movies.
1. The Hunger Games: Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence, is the definition of a badass. Everdeen voluntarily takes her sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised competition where two teens from each of the districts are chosen at random to fight to death. It's empowering to see a female stand up for her family and also use her mental and physical strengths for survival.
2. Miss Congeniality: A classic. Not all women like makeup and dresses, and FBI agent Gracie Hart is the perfect representation of these women. Hart goes undercover in a national pageant to prevent any catastrophe from happening at the event. A movie with a fierce leading lady that teaches the value of friendship and teaches you how you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
3. Mulan: Would this list honestly be valid if an animated Disney flick wasn't included? Far from an ordinary princess, Mulan takes her father's place in the army to save him from death and later becomes a heroine to China. This movie could be perfectly described with the saying, "anything you can do, I can do better."
4. The Help: A movie all about women and the power of words. A young woman decides to write a book about the African-American maids' difficulties and their point of view on the white families they work for. If you're looking for a moving drama, this is your pick.
5. The Devil Wears Prada: Girl power doesn't always mean having it all together, sometimes it could be having the strength in finding yourself. In this movie, a new graduate, Andy Sachs, lands a job at a high-fashion magazine as an assistant to the editor-in-chief. With many difficulties, Sachs is able to impress her boss and grow along the way.
6. Legally Blonde: "It's called the bend and snap!" When sorority girl Elle Woods is dumped by her boyfriend, she follows him to law school and learns that she's much more than a blonde Barbie doll. This is a legendary #girlpower movie as Woods shows us that with determination and confidence, you can achieve what your heart desires.
7. Erin Brockovich: A single mother with no job becomes a legal assistant and almost brings down a California power company. You go girl! The nothing could stop me attitude of the leading lady is truly inspirational.
8. The Other Woman: What's better than one leading lady- perhaps three? Three women join together to plot revenge on the man that's been cheating on each of them with one another. Sounds crazy right? This is a romantic comedy you must watch with your girlfriends to share a few laughs all while seeing the strength of women coming together.
9. Sex and the City: In any powerful person, the people they surround themselves with are a key factor to their success. They are the ones who shape you. The iconic group of ladies from the HBO show Sex and the City come together for a movie. The main character, Carrie Bradshaw is finally getting married but after she is jilted, her friends come to the rescue. Spoiler alert: you'll be hugging your friends by the end of this movie.
Do you have any other suggestions? Sound off on the comments below.