People Staff
July 01, 2008 AT 11:00 AM EDT

Singer Luis Miguel saved himself a trip to court to face assault charges after he reached a settlement with the two men who filed a lawsuit against him in 2006 after allegedly being hit by the singer and his bodyguard at a hotel bar in Aspen, CO.

The defendants’ lawyers confirmed that their clients reached an agreement with the 38-year-old “Si nos dejan” singer. The amount he paid to the two in the settlement has not been disclosed, reported the Mexican daily El Universal.

“We notified the court during a motion last week that there would be no need for a trial, since both parties have reached a confidential agreement,” said Jeff Wertz, a lawyer from the Allan Wertz & Feldman firm who represents William Hardy and Jason Moan, the men who accused Miguel.

In the suit, which was filed in November 2006, the men demanded an undisclosed amount of money from the father of Michelle Salas for damages and injuries incurred on January 3, when the singer and his bodyguard Julio César Camera allegedly beat them up. The incident started with Hardy, who told Luis Miguel that he wouldn’t even pay 50 cents to hear one of his songs, inciting Miguel and his bodyguard to allegedly start throwing punches at Hardy and his friend Moan. The singer has always claimed that he was acting out of self-defense.

You May Like

EDIT POST