Christian Bale’s attorneys released a statement Tuesday denying assault allegations that led to the actor’s arrest in London, according to People.com.
“Christian Bale attended a London police station today, on a voluntary basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made against him to the police by his mother and sister,” the star’s lawyers said in the statement. “Mr. Bale who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police. At this time, there will be no further comment by Mr. Bale.”
The 34-year-old Brit was arrested on Tuesday morning for allegedly hitting his mother, Jenny, 61, and his sister, Sharon, 40, last Sunday in London’s Dorchester hotel, where he was staying before the film’s premiere.
According to Britain’s The Sun, Bale’s mother and sister went to a police station in Hampshire Monday, which turned the case over to London officers.
“A 34-year-old man attended a central London police station this morning, by appointment, and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault,” a police spokesman told People. “He is currently in custody.”
England law concedes that a suspect may be arrested before questioning him in connection to a possible crime. Therefore, Bale has not been formally charged.
Late afternoon Tuesday, a police spokeswoman told People: “A 34-year-man has been bailed to return to a central London police station on a date in September, pending further inquiries.”
Bale is scheduled to be in Barcelona, Spain Thursday for the The Dark Night‘s Spanish-language premiere.