At long last, Cecilia Bolocco agreed to talk about the compromising photos with Italian businessman Luciano Marocchino that confirmed she cheated on her husband, Carlos Menem. The former Miss Universe granted an interview to a Chilean magazine in which she did not rule out taking legal action.
“I feel like I’m being cut up into pieces and being sold, bit by bit, to the highest bidder,” Bolocco told Cosas magazine. “There is a conspiracy, a low handed way of getting money. It’s such a dirty game, that sometimes I feel like I’m living a Machiavellian novel,” she added in reference to the most recent images published in a Mexican magazine, where she is seen kissing her alleged boyfriend.
The 42-year-old television host, married to the 76-year-old former president of Argentina, Carlos Menem, said that days after the publication of the first images (in which she is catching some rays, topless, next to Marocchino), she received messages that suggested she make a deal with the photographer. “This clearly had a ring of extortion. I’m not used to this kind of garbage,” she said, alluding to the more risqué images that allegedly are out there and have yet to be published. In that vein, she dared the media “to show how low it will go; I’ll see what legal action I must take.”
After the first topless pictures were published, Menem conceded he had been separated from his wife for some time and announced he would begin divorce proceedings. After the scandal, the Chilean celebrity cancelled all her public appearances, including attending the Miss Universe pageant, which will take place in Mexico on Monday.