The Billboard Music Awards was all about the ladies last night putting them front and center. The entire show was filled with women dominating the stage with performances and appearances. The power of the industry’s women was stronger than ever and we picked the best #girlpower moments of the evening.
1. Celine Dion received the Icon award and honored her late husband Rene Angelil with her performance. “Rene, this one’s for you,” said the 48-year-old singer during her acceptance speech. Celine was joined by her son Rene-Charles, who helped present her with the award.
2. Britney Spears opened the show and proved that she still got it. The singer performed a medley of her hits including Toxic, Work B*tch, and Womanizer while showing off her classic dance skills.
3. All eyes were on Kesha. Messy court battles aside, the singer kept it simple yet powerful with an acoustic cover of Bob Dylan’s It Ain’t me, Babe. It was easy to forget about all the drama and remember how talented of a singer she is. You go, girl!
4. Who’s more #girlpower than Fifth Harmony? The group sang their latest hit Work From Home to a screaming crowd. All the celebrities in the audience were caught on camera singing and dancing.
5. Madonna sang a tribute for pop icon Prince. The two had a sour past after dating for a few years but despite controversy, Madonna captured the audience and made a touching performance.
6. Demi Lovato took a stand against North Carolina’s anti-queer legislation House Bill 2 (HB2) during her performance. The singer wore a shirt that featured an inclusive bathroom symbol. Bravo!